3D Digital Mammography
3D mammography is an important technological advancement that can improve early detection and improve your screening experience.
The mammogram is the most widely used and most trusted tool for breast screening. The goal of mammography is the early detection of breast cancer. When detected early, the chances for successfully treating breast cancer increase dramatically. In addition, finding cancer at an earlier stage may help save a woman’s breast by eliminating the need for a mastectomy.
3D mammography, or tomosynthesis, is a recent and significant innovation in breast imaging—approved by the FDA in 2011. Numerous European and American clinical studies have demonstrated that adding tomosynthesis to a screening mammogram increases the cancer detection rate by about 40% and significantly lowers recall rates.(1) It has also been shown to find more invasive cancers earlier than traditional mammography(2), which is why so many hospitals and imaging centers are adopting this technology.
3D Mammography at SIRA is:
- Safe and effective, with very low radiation exposure
- Uses the latest Hologic Genius™ 3D technology
- Is faster than conventional mammograms with less patient discomfort
- Reduces the need for callbacks
- Is performed with advanced computer-aided detection (CAD) technology
- Is less expensive than other locations, which can make a real difference if follow up testing is needed, or if you’re uninsured.